ABOUT MY GUEST
In today’s conversation, I speak with Elena Sinel, a multi-award winning social entrepreneur whose mission is to inspire young people across the world to engage in Artificial Intelligence for Impact. A sought-after AI ethicist, policy adviser and keynote speaker, Elena is trusted by global brands and governments to deliver messages that inspire young people and individuals to build responsible AI.
Committed to inspiring young people to make a change in their community, country, and economy through passion, agility, teamwork, and expert support, Teens in AI, an initiative that Elena founded, is designed to give young people early exposure to AI that is being developed and deployed for social good. Launched at the AI for Good Global Summit at the UN in 2018, Teens In AI aims to empower the next generation of ethical AI researchers, entrepreneurs and leaders who will shape the world of tomorrow.
Prior to this work, Elena spent over 10 years traveling, volunteering and working in Central Asia (where she grew up), as well as the Balkans, Ethiopia and Bangladesh, where she worked with NGOs and the British Council, developing education, entrepreneurship and mentorship programmes for women and young people.
Upon returning to the UK as a single mother of two, Elena was shocked at the state of secondary school education across the UK with its “factory” style learning model and was inspired to launch a pioneering educational social impact enterprise, providing young people across the globe with opportunities to interact with leading experts in technology to create solutions that solve real-life, world problems.
Recorded on 17th April 2023.
Resources and articles:
- Guardian: Letter signed by Elon Musk demanding AI research pause sparks controversy
- MIT: The inside story of how ChatGPT was built from the people who made it
- TIME: Pausing AI Developments Isn’t Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- Verge: Microsoft lays off team that taught employees how to make AI tools responsibly
- The Times: AI chatbot blamed for Belgian man’s suicide
- Politico: Europe edges closer to a ban on facial recognition
- Forbes: Italy’s ChatGPT Ban, A Precedent For The Rest Of Europe?
- Gary Marcus: I am not afraid of robots. I am afraid of people
- WSJ: The Contradictions of Sam Altman, AI Crusader
Produced by Caro C. Written & recorded by Nathalie Nahai © 2023.