About my guest
Faris Yakob is the author of the book Paid Attention, and co-founder of Genius Steals, a strategy and innovation consultancy built on the belief that ideas are new combinations and that nothing can come from nothing.
Faris works with brands, agencies and startups from all over the world, and has variously worked as a communication strategist, media planner, account planner, creative director, a writer for Maxim Magazine and a management consultant.
He was also a founding partner of creative technology agency in NYC, Chief Innovation Officer of an advertising holding company, and chief digital officer at the flagship office of the world’s largest advertising agency.
Faris has won and judged numerous advertising awards, he has chaired at the Clio Awards and even helped created the NEW category for the London International Awards. He also consulted on, and briefly featured in, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold by Morgan Spurlock.
During the podcast, you will learn
- The origins of the theories that ‘ideas are new combinations of ideas’ and ‘nothing can come of nothing’
- How creativity works, what ideas are and where the threshold of originality lies
- Why poets attempted to be as creative as women
- Why replication is never perfect and what this leads to
- How to find a career when you don’t know what to do
- About the importance of attention in terms of value exchange and attention debt
- How to earn attention without adding to the content landfill
- About the ‘weak theory of advertising’
- What the limits of human persuasion are and the shift between persuasion and manipulation
- Why people don’t change their minds but might change their behaviours
- Why “trying to understand consciousness is like trying to bite your own teeth”
- About the observer effect and how it influences perception
- About ideological superposition and distributed identity
- That if you’re certain, you’re probably wrong
And much more!
Resources mentioned on the show
Paid Attention – Faris Yakob
Digital State – Nick Kendall (Contributing author, Faris Yakob)
What is a 21st Century Brand? – Simon Pont (Contributing author, Faris Yakob)
Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide – Henry Jenkins
Stone Junction: An Alchemical Pot-Boiler – Jim Dodge